Friday, July 14, 2006

let's begin

It occurred to us that with all the knitting we do in the shop, it would be fun to keep a record. OK, this isn't a new idea, but better late than never, right?

Right. And being a fairly spontaneous idea, there's only one photo of a current project, and there it is on the left. The yarn is Koigu's KPPPM in color K105L/204. The pattern is a fun variation of Feather and Fan. It goes like this:

Cast 49 stitches on a US5. I wanted it to be a little loose, normally I'd use a US3 with KPPPM. The stitch pattern is a multiple of 12 plus 1, so you can make your scarf or shawl as wide as you like.

Rows 1 thru 4 - Knit.
Rows 5, 7, 9 &11 - K1, * K2tog twice, (yo, K1) 3 times, yo, SSK twice, K1; repeat from * to last stitch, K1.
Rows 6, 8, 10 & 12 - Purl.

Repeat these 12 rows until desired length. It's hard to know at this point how much yarn I'll need. Maybe one hank, maybe two.

I'm not sure this colorway is the best for this pattern. A more-solid colorway may be better. I'll see how it goes. At this point, I'm really enjoying knitting with KPPPM and this relatively-easy-to-remember stitch pattern.