Saturday, December 16, 2006

knit them a cowl

The other day I found a beautiful selection of Brushed Suri and Silk Purse laid out on the arm of one of the sofas. The Brushed Suri is a unique furry yarn because it's all-natural, it's light-weight, and it's not scratchy. The Silk Purse, of course, is a well-known favorite from Alchemy Yarns.

I discovered that Laura was thinking of using them together for a cowl, and I thought the idea was brilliant. We both started pulling out other combinations and soon had made our choices. I can't tell you hers because it's a holiday gift, but I chose Brushed Suri in sweet potato and Pure Silk in orange. The result is fantastic.

cowl knit with Suri Alpaca yarn and Pure Silk yarn
Cowls are a great alternative to scarves. They're easy to knit and fun to wear. Here's how I made my cowl:

cast 60 stitches on a size 13 circular needle
join in the round, being careful not to twist
knit until approximately 3 feet of yarn remains
bind off loosely
weave in ends
I finished in 2 sittings over 2 days. A perfect last minute gift!